Where to host a (Python) project?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Feb 5 19:55:17 EST 2009

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

> In article <6dcb8ce5-c93e-458c-9047-e5db60f27d90 at v18g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
> andrew cooke  <andrew at acooke.org> wrote:
> >hi, just fyi, i investigated this and you can join any publicly
> >readable group by sending an email to the "-subscribe" address. you
> >do not need a google login for this and, as far as i can tell, it
> >then operates for you like a normal mailing list.
>
> The same thing is theoretically true for Yahoo groups, but I've
> heard from people over the years about various difficulties fixing
> problems with list subscriptions in the absence of a real Yahoo
> login and I'm not particularly interested in finding out that the
> same thing ends up being true for Google lists.

Indeed it does. I have succeeded in subscribing to Google mailing
lists in the absence of a Google account, but *managing* that
subscription thereafter in the absence of a Google account is
obnoxiously difficult. Your caution is well advised.

--
 \                “I got fired from my job the other day. They said my |
  `\          personality was weird. … That's okay, I have four more.” |