Where to host a (Python) project?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Feb 5 18:27:46 EST 2009

In article <6dcb8ce5-c93e-458c-9047-e5db60f27d90 at v18g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
andrew cooke  <andrew at acooke.org> wrote:
>On Feb 1, 8:45=A0pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>>
>> [...]=A0I for one won't participate in any list hosted on
>> Google because of the need for a Google login.
>
>hi,  just fyi, i investigated this and you can join any publicly
>readable group by sending an email to the "-subscribe" address.  you
>do not need a google login for this and, as far as i can tell, it then
>operates for you like a normal mailing list.
>
>for example, to subscribe to the group foo, you would send an email to
>foo-subscribe at googlegroups.com.  to unsubscribe, use foo-
>
>this isn't exactly well-publicised, but i tested it and it does work.

The same thing is theoretically true for Yahoo groups, but I've heard
from people over the years about various difficulties fixing problems
with list subscriptions in the absence of a real Yahoo login and I'm not
particularly interested in finding out that the same thing ends up being
true for Google lists.