OTish: convince the team to drop VBScript

Christian R. pafboing at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 13:40:23 EST 2009

Hello,

Brand new to this list, I've not found a quick way to search the
archives, and this is not a technical question.

I've just been hired at a digital signage company. They use VBScript
for simple-to-medium scripting. I've abandoned it about 8 years ago. I
want to convince the manager and the two programmers to switch to
Python. My main arguments for Python:
	- Faster
	- More powerful
	- Simpler syntax
	- More up-to-date, evolving
	- Modularity
	- Lots of open source modules
	- Better for development of "tools" (a goal stated by the mgr)

Not so sure:
	- Easier to integrate/translate with/into C#, which is what is used
there for complex development. Am I right?

The company does use Python on rare occasions. It all comes down to
the prejudices and habits of one of the programmers. His only argument
I can't counter -because I don't see the problem- is that "Python
modules cause problems for updates to customer's installations".

My major points will be:
	- Easier for all three of us
	- Stay up-to-date with industry. VBScript soon obsolescent.
	- Better for the company (state-of-the-art skills, think about the
future, assets re-use etc.)

Any details or added arguments are welcome. In advance, thanks!