Which version of MSVC?90.DLL's to distribute with Python 2.6 based Py2exe executables?

kakarukeys kakarukeys at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 12:05:19 EST 2009

I tried on a fresh XP on VM. I moved all dlls in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS
which are in the file handles shown by Process Explorer including the
3 CRT dlls to the my dist folder and the two subfolders suggested by
http://wiki.wxpython.org/py2exe. It didn't work out. My app couldn't
start. Windows XP gave a cryptic error asking me to reinstall the app.

After installing vcredist_x86.exe, my app starts fine. There isn't a
choice here. You HAVE TO bundle vcredist_x86.exe with your installer
and convince your customers that it is necessary to increase the file
size by 2MB.

If anyone figure out how to do as http://wiki.wxpython.org/py2exe, or
on a Python compiled with a free GNU compiler, avoiding all these BS.
I will pay him/her $10.