Which version of MSVC?90.DLL's to distribute with Python 2.6 based Py2exe executables?

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 17:27:11 EST 2009

Jonathan Hartley <tartley at tartley.com> writes:

> I guess I really need an installer. Oh well.

This need not be that much of a hurdle.  Several solutions exist such
as Inno Setup (my personal preference), NSIS, etc... which are not
hard to create a solid installer with.  I suspect your end users will
appreciate it too since your application (even if trivial) will
install/uninstall just like other standard applications.  Combining
py2exe with such an installer is a solid combination for deployment
under Windows.

It could also help you over time since you'll have better control if
needed over how future versions handle updates, can control menus,
shortcuts, etc..  Even if a start menu shortcut just opens up a
console window with your text based application, it's probably easier
for users then telling them to open such a window manually, switch to
the right directory, and start your script.

You can arrange to have the redist installer run from within your
installation script, so it's a one-time hit rather than each time your
application starts.

-- David