getlist question

Victor Subervi victorsubervi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 12:40:27 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Carsten Haese <carsten.haese at gmail.com>wrote:

> Victor Subervi wrote:
> > Well I've done that. What happens is the storeColNames registers the
> > "Availability" field naturally enough; however, as I stated before, the
> > getlist doesn't fetch anything because there is nothing to fetch! No
> > such value is passed!
>
> Well, what does getlist return when the situation you're describing as
> "getlist doesn't fetch anything" occurs? Does is raise an exception?
> Does it return 0? Does it return None? Does it return an empty list? An
> empty string? An empty tuple? Does it return False? Does it not return
> at all and causes the universe to fall into a black hole?

It returns nothing. I believe I've stated that three times now.

>  So, what I need to do is figure out a way to log
> > the fact that no value is fetched. What I have currently, unfortunately,
> > simply ignores the unfetchable value. As I stated before, I need to log
> > the fact that no such value is obtained. Please...how do I do that??
>
> Please be less vague. What part do you have a problem with? Checking
> whether "no value is fetched" or "log the fact"?

No value is fetched because there is no value to fetch. I want to be able to
log the fact that no value was fetched. How do I do that? Am I not being
clear? Here, let me try again, as I began this thread with my first post. I
thought it was so easy, so clear. If I use getfirst, I can set a default to
log whether getfirst gets anything or not. I cannot do that with getlist. Is
there a work-around?
TIA,
beno