How Do I...?

Rami Chowdhury rami.chowdhury at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 15:06:48 EST 2009

On Dec 19, 2009, at 08:50 , Victor Subervi wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> Victor Subervi wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com>wrote:
>
> Well, you start by reading a book on how to program.  You would then learn
> that what you want (in all likelihood) is a dictionary/map structure for
> dynamically created key/value pairs. Once you have progressed from your
> current apprenticeship and achieved the rank of third-degree journeyman
> programmer, the ways of dynamic variable creation will avail themselves.
>
> Why the arrogance? Why talk down to me?
>
> The aim was not arrogance, but expression of exasperation
> You can't do it. [snip] You couldn't possibly understand.

And you're accusing someone else of arrogance here ;-)? I don't think anyone is deliberately talking down to you -- would you contest the assertion that you are an 'apprentice' in the art of programming, and are posting on c.l.py to learn from those with more experience?

> You have my continued promise that I will do all I can to edit my questions as intelligently as you would before I post them.
> Trust me, I don't like looking foolish, and I know I do.

Tim's given you a few suggestions, as have many others -- perhaps it would be worth making a note, somewhere, of checks to go through before you post, to ensure that you come across as well as you intend?

HTH,
Rami