Apple Mac OS X 10.6 support & compatability with Python 3 ?

r0g aioe.org at technicalbloke.com
Wed Dec 16 13:19:50 EST 2009

pdlemper at earthlink.net wrote:
> I've been given a MAC AIR laptop with OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard".
> On my desktop I dual boot with XP - Ubuntu and have Python on both.
> Unfortunately all my Python programs are written on Windows XP and
> I heavily rely on WConio for console I/O.
> Called Apple tech support. The technician had never heard of Python,
> ascertained the MAC AIR does not come preloaded with Python and
> did not know if Python 3 would run under OS X 10.6. This was "beyond"
> their expertise.
> Does anyone have experience with OS X ? Could I use WConio in a
> Windows emulator ?  I have no experience with MACs and am debating
> whether to send this back before opening.
>                                                  Thanks.     Dave WB3DWE

Snow leopard comes with 2.6 so that shouldn't be a problem but I think
you're probably going to be SOL on the Wconio front - its a windows only
module AFAIK. The equivalent on *nix os's is ncurses so if you want your
apps to support Windows, Linux & Mac you're probably going to have to
use both.

Whatever you decide to do about the above you'd be mad to send back an
AIR anyway, that's a v.sleek bit of kit you've been 'given'! You can
install Windows and Linux via bootcamp if you want, or run them in a VM,
macs are very nearly standard PC's now anyway. I suppose if you want a
desktop replacement rather than something super portable you might find
some other machines more suitable but if you want to be coding on the go
you'd be hard pushed to find a nicer machine - except maybe the thinkpad
X300 for the removable battery and optical drive.

Roger.