Moving from Python 2 to Python 3: A 4 page "cheat sheet"

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Wed Dec 2 03:17:37 EST 2009

On 1 Dec, 23:52, John Bokma <j... at castleamber.com> wrote:
> Mark Summerfield <l... at qtrac.plus.com> writes:
> > It is available as a free PDF download (no registration or anything)
> > from InformIT's website. Here's the direct link:
> >http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/informit/promotions/...
>
> Thanks!
>
> > And of course, if you want more on Python 3, there's always the
> > documentation---or my book:-)
> > "Programming in Python 3 (Second Edition)" ISBN-10: 0321680561.
>
> Meh, second edition already? Haven't read the entire first edition
> yet. Which is IMO a good book (I also gave it to my brother as a
> present).

If it is any consolation, the second edition should have a much longer
life, now that we have the language moratorium. (I _really_ wanted to
cover 3.1.)

> Only negative point (to me) so far is that in the beginning (p8-9) the
> book mentions placing Python programs in C:\py3eg which gives me the
> unpleasant feeling that someone is coding on Windows XP with
> Administrator rights...

OK, you got me there, I only use Windows for testing purposes and my
personal logon account does have Administrator rights, which I assumed
was standard for personal machines? Also, the path is short. It is
only a suggestion, it really doesn't matter where you unpack the
examples.