Python Processor

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 26 12:21:45 EDT 2009

manish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am also wondering about how to implement a soft core reconfigurable
> processor in a FPGA
> which would directly execute the compiled python bytecode.
>
> I am trying to understand the bytecode format but apart from
> http://docs.python.org/library/dis.html
> there is hardly any documentation on the python bytecodes.

Contrary to the ancient and, I believe, obsolete text in the
documentation, there is no 'python bytecode'. Dis is based on CPython
bytecode. Jython uses Java bytecode. IronPython uses, I believe,
Microsoft clr bytecode. Object code compilers do not use bytecode.

> Before going through the one of the existing VM implementations, i want
> to know if there is there any informaition
> available which elaborates on the structure of the bytecodes. Like
> details regarding co_names, co_cellvars,
> co_freevars, the concept of frames, global, local, objects, functions
> etc with respect to the bytecode.

These are mostly version-specific Cpython implementation details.

tjr