debugger

Sat Aug 22 10:37:08 EDT 2009

flagmino wrote:
> To get familiar with the debugger, I have loaded this program:
>
> import math
>
> def s1(x, y):
>    a = (x + y)
>    print("Answer from s1"), a
>    return
>
> def s2(x, y):
>    b = (x - y)
>    print("This comes from s2"), b
>    #print z
>    print("call from s2: "), s1(x, y)
>    return
>
> I am trying to debug:
> I press shift-F9 and F7. I end up in the interpreter where I enter s2
> (1, 2).
>
> From that point if I press F7, the program restart all over.
> If I press Enter, the program gets out of debug mode.
>
> Please help me figuring out how I can use the dbugger. You are welcome
> to send a sound file if this is easier for you.
>
> Thanks
>
> ray
You need to tell us:
     Which Python version (e.g. 2.6.2)
     Which "platform" (hardware & OS) (e.g. 64-bit AMD FreeBSD)
     Which debugger (e.g. Idle)
     What you expected to happen that did not, and why you expected it.
     or What happened and why you did not expect it.

Often you can lots of this information by going to your debugger window
and doing Help // About, and go to your Python environment and type:
     import sys
     print sys.version # cut the results and paste in your message as
"sys.version says, "'2.6.2 (r262:71605, ...'"  [don't do dots yourself]

To understand more of why we need this on every question, see:
http://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html
or google for "smart questions".

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org