How to 'de-slashify' a string?

AK ak at nothere.com
Sat Aug 22 04:20:23 EDT 2009

Hi, if I have a string '\\303\\266', how can I convert it to '\303\266'
in a general way?

The problem I'm running into is that I'm connecting with pygresql to a
postgres database and when I get fields that are of 'char' type, I get
them in unicode, but when I get fields of 'byte' type, I get the text
with quoted slashes, e.g. '\303' becomes '\\303' and so on.

I saw posts online to do

cursor.execute("set client-encoding to unicode")

before running queries but this command causes an error.

So I think I need a way to de-quote the slashes or alternatively
some way to tell pygresql not to quote slashes for 'byte' fields.

Any help, hints, etc appreciated..

--
AK