Need cleanup advice for multiline string

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Aug 12 10:09:56 EDT 2009

On 01:27 pm, jeanmichel at sequans.com wrote:
>Simon Brunning wrote:
>>>It's a figure of speech. And besides, why would I want programming
>>>advice from a woman? lol. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>Give the attitudes still prevalent in our industry (cf
>><http://tinyurl.com/c5nqju> and many more), I'm sorry to say that I
>>don't think this is funny.
>Having someone present technical informations with porn content cannot
>be qualified as "prevalent in our industry". I would even dare to say
>this is the opposite, it is almost unique.
>I would also add that Robert was very far from this attitude, I
>consider his joke as a friendly tickle, not a male chauvinist
>aggression. I'm no women, but I'm sure they are as capable as me, not
>to say more, of making the distinction.
>
>It has been said this list is not very friendly to newbies, let's not
>make it hostile to gentle jokes (even those not funny) when thanking
>helpers.

It's lots of little things like this which combine to create an
environment which is less friendly towards women than it is towards
others.  You might read it as a joke, others might not.  Even if it is a
joke, it's in poor taste and doesn't really belong on python-list.

There's a difference between pointing out inappropriate behavior and
being unfriendly.  Hopefully Robert got help with his problem.  That's
what the list is here for.  Having accomplished that, it is not
unfriendly to ask him not to make disparaging comments, "jokes" or
otherwise, about groups of people.

Jean-Paul