Python docs disappointing

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sat Aug 1 15:32:31 EDT 2009

jkn wrote:

> The ActiveState distribution also includes the doc set as a CHM file
> (the canonical version didn't used to; one reason why I've used
> ActiveState in the past).

It has done for quite some while now: Python 2.3 was the first
and that was released, what, six years ago. Still, you're right;
it used to use plain HTML.

> Unfortunately, the combination of the python 2.6 CHM helpfile style,
> and the KChmViewer application gives me body text which is almost
> unreadable (black text on dark blue background). I'm not sure if this
> a bug in KChmViewer but it's pretty annoying. Anyone else see this?

This was noised about when the new-style docs were first released.
Somehow (I don't run Linux usually) I had the impression it had
been fixed; presumably not. However, rebuilding the docs is not
at all hard: you just need a Python installation and the
HTMLHelp Workshop. Then you can fiddle about with the CSS to
your heart's content.

TJG