Python docs disappointing

jkn jkn_gg at nicorp.f9.co.uk
Sat Aug 1 15:01:32 EDT 2009

On Aug 1, 4:18 am, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:

> This is one area where Windows users seems to have an advantage. The
> standard installer includes the doc set as a Windows help file. I often
> keep that open in one window while programming in others. I only later
> discovered that this was a copy of the online docs ;-), which I only use
> to check the in-development version before submitting a doc bug.

The ActiveState distribution also includes the doc set as a CHM file
(the canonical version didn't used to; one reason why I've used
ActiveState in the past).

I run a dual-boot system and have used a CHM (Windows Compiled help
file format) viewer under Linux to read the Windows help file. This
has been pretty handy in the past.

Unfortunately, the combination of the python 2.6 CHM helpfile style,
and the KChmViewer application gives me body text which is almost
unreadable (black text on dark blue background). I'm not sure if this
a bug in KChmViewer but it's pretty annoying. Anyone else see this?

    J^n