Installing Python 2.5.4 from Source under Windows

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 20:44:22 EDT 2009

Paul Franz wrote:
> Mark,
>    The problem is that the steps are not in the readme.txt for the
> building Python for Windows.  The python.exe might work from the
> Win32Release directory where it is compiled.

You should find the executables and DLLs directly in the PCBuild
directory (for an x86 build)

> But I would like to have it create the distuils directory,

The distutils directory, and all directories used by distutils should
already be there (hrm - maybe not the top-level 'scripts' directory...)

> and other python packages that are
> normally part of a python distribution.

You should find all of them there too.

> Another person pointed out
> Tools/Msi and I will look in that directory.

IIUC that will simply package up what you just built into an installer
but this installer package doesn't include anything you don't already
have.  It will install into a slightly different directory structure and
it will setup registry and start menu items etc though, so if that is
what are after it will serve you well...

Cheers,

Mark