Web framework for embedded system

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Apr 29 13:32:55 EDT 2009

Thomas Heller schrieb:
> I'm looking for a lightweight web-framework for an embedded system.
> The system is running a realtime linux-variant on a 200 MHz ARM
> processor, Python reports a performance of around 500 pystones.
>
> The web application will not be too fancy, no databases involved
> for example, but it will need to control some simple peripherals
> (some parallel in/out, some dacs) attached to the system.
>
> It should provide a user interface showing the current state and
> allowing to manipulate it via a browser, and I will probably need
> to support some rpc as well.

Thanks for all the replies I got.

I will take the 'traditional' route, and probably go with cherrypy first,
but will still keep an eye on webpy.

I'm very happy to see that these frameworks deliver ~10 pages per second
(cherrypy) or ~3.5 pages per second (webpy) out of the box on a system
that is 50 times slower than a typical desktop PC.  Of course these
were very short pages.

The other ideas that were posted, the SIMPL toolkit and the
'Batteries Included! Python on Low Cost Tiny Embedded Wireless Devices'
stuff, are very interesting as well, but not for this project.  Food for
thought, at least.

Thanks again,
Thomas