Learning Python the quick way

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 06:24:33 EDT 2009

On Apr 25, 11:13 am, mercur... at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have decided to learn Python a little more than I already do. But I
> found few problems,
>
> I am not sure what will happen if I do the programing in python the
> find the program
> doesn't deliver the desired performance due to lack of a good
> compiler.

For most program python is fast enough, given it uses the appropriate
algorithm for the problem (bad algorithm suffers in any language).

For the minority of program where speed is extremely important, there
are tools and libraries to make python runs even faster.

For a swindle of program where it still isn't even enough, writing the
prototype in python will make it easier when rewriting it in other
language.

> So I wanted to learn more about the projects that people are working
> on using Python
> to get the feel of the languages application.

Projects that uses Python? Google and NASA are two big ones. Many
major Linux distributions relies heavily on Python (e.g. Ubuntu). One
of OpenOffice.org's scripting/macro language is Python. Blender 3D
CAD, Scribus, GIMP (with extension), etc uses python for scripting
langauge. There is a major MMORPG game that use python as their
scripting language (forgot the name). Some universities taught python
both as first-language and second language. There are lots of people
that uses python to solve day-to-day problems. On some days, I used
python to solve puzzles and games and stuffs and programming/math
challenges. There are also "success stories" here: http://www.python.org/about/success/

In short, python is pretty much everywhere from outerspace to
supercomputers to garage programmer