Learning Python the quick way

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Sat Apr 25 03:32:41 EDT 2009

mercurish at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have decided to learn Python a little more than I already do.
Very good!
> But I found few problems,
>
> I am not sure what will happen if I do the programing in python the
> find the program
> doesn't deliver the desired performance due to lack of a good
> compiler.
I assume then you have defined what performance you actually need?
Otherwise how would you know that it is slow? Yes of course you can
compare it to another language/compiler but how do you know that the
other language didn't 'cheat' and provided an optimised routine for what
you are doing?

That is like comparing it to the speed of an Airbus A380 and a Cruise
liner, both will get you to your destination (sometimes even the same
one), flying is a lot faster but I can assure you that none of the
passengers on the boat would at that moment rather fly, while passengers
that are flying would consider cruise if given the option.

> So I wanted to learn more about the projects that people are working
> on using Python
> to get the feel of the languages application.

I think that PyPy pretty much proved that the application is rather
unlimited. Though I personally think that Python excels in writing
maintainable software.

Performance as in speed is only critical if there is a requirement which
can be expressed in "n executions in x ms".

That doesn't say speed isn't important, it just says that if you don't
know how much, you still need to define your requirements. Which is
something you should do before you start coding.

--
MPH
http://blog.dcuktec.com