Configuring pylint for local conventions

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Thu Apr 23 22:38:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
>> David Stanek <dstanek at dstanek.com> writes:
>>
>> > I believe you just:
>> >   pylint --generate-rcfile > ~/.pylintrc
>> > and then customize that file.
>>
>> This is the part that I'm asking how to do. What documentation is there
>> on this configuration file and recommendations on how to modify it?
>
> For bonus points, I'm actually wanting to know how to configure it per
> *project*, and applying that configuration for all programmers of that
> project. Having one set of coding conventions per *user* seem like a
> recipe for frustration.

I find that the comments in the file it generates are enough. I
haven't needed any more documentation than that.

For project specific configuration I just keep a config file[1] in the
project's source repository. Then make my build script[2] specify that
file when I run 'paver lint'.

[1] http://bitbucket.org/dstanek/snake-guice/src/tip/pylint.cfg
[2] http://bitbucket.org/dstanek/snake-guice/src/tip/pavement.py

--