Python Packages : A looming problem? packages might no longer work? (well not on your platform or python version anyway)

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Thu Apr 23 13:12:38 EDT 2009

David Lyon wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:04:35 -0400, David Stanek <dstanek at dstanek.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If I use win32com how do you expect me to support Linux?
>
> Of course not...
>
>> What about the many packages on PYPI containing C?
>
> Exactly.
>
>> What if I decide to write only to Python 3?
>
> Fair enough. But don't forget it is open source.
>
> Let me ask these two questions...
>
>  - What about the use case where somebody likes the code and wants
>    to use it on Python 2.5?
>
>  - Should not that user be able to share back with other
>    Python 2.5 users?
>
>> Who will support the other platforms if not the developer?
>
> It's Open Source don't forget....
>
> Fact is these days.. developers come and go....
>
> If anything.... my suggestion promotes preserving the resources
> of the original developer rather than letting them expire just
> because their operating system does....
>
> (I'm talking windows here)

Go David!  I like your attitude!!

> David
>

> --

This topic has been going round and round and yet nobody has actually
touched the "magic button".

Like whoever started this topic (and the rest of you) I have logged in
somewhere and looked for Help, Snippets and more.  I find something I
like and download and it fails miserably.  Thus the perceived "need" for
some big brother certification thing.

It is far more simple to police ourselves.
The posting needs a DATE. The Help or Comment needs to explicitly
specify the VERSION(s) it addresses.  The code needs to state OS and
program and version used to write it.  And from there - user beware.

DATE is supplied for date of posting, but who says that was when the
contents were created?  The content needs to specify its creation DATE.

VERSION(s) which HELP and COMMENTS were created under/towards/"at time
of" need explicit noting. Even one liners in postings.

The author of the code needs to state OS (and version of) and the
compiler/interpreter (and version of) and version the code was written
to. (was it for a specific only or was the effort to be more general or
was backward compatibility attempted, is the snippet even supposed to
run?) As for programming language version compatibility - you the author
need to download them and do that yourself if you need to know.

There is one other thing that really pisses me off when it's missing.
The idiot puts in the disclaimer but never tells anyone what the hell
that damn thing is supposed to do.  AAARRRRRGGGggggghhh !!!

BB's, User Lists, all repositories can make these required before
acceptance.

On the dream list:  It would be nice to have access to an OS (and or
machine architecture) not in possession for testing compatibility in
cases where it's an issue.
But then just asking usually gets it done. :)

Today is: 20090423
Steve