Python Packages : A looming problem? packages might no longer work? (well not on your platform or python version anyway)

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Apr 23 07:53:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:04:35 -0400, David Stanek <dstanek at dstanek.com>
wrote:

> If I use win32com how do you expect me to support Linux?

Of course not...

> What about the many packages on PYPI containing C?

Exactly.

> What if I decide to write only to Python 3?

Fair enough. But don't forget it is open source.

Let me ask these two questions...

 - What about the use case where somebody likes the code and wants
   to use it on Python 2.5?

 - Should not that user be able to share back with other
   Python 2.5 users?

> Who will support the other platforms if not the developer?

It's Open Source don't forget....

Fact is these days.. developers come and go....

If anything.... my suggestion promotes preserving the resources
of the original developer rather than letting them expire just
because their operating system does....

(I'm talking windows here)

David