when can i expect libraries and third party tools to be updated for python 3 ?

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 11:05:38 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> alessiogiovanni.baroni wrote:
> > On 20 Apr, 15:47, Deep_Feelings wrote:
> > > every one is telling "dont go with python 3 , 3rd party tools and
> > > libraries have no compitability with python 3"
> > >
> > > so from previous experience : when can i expect libraries and third
> > > party tools to be updated for python 3 ? (especially libraries )
> >
> > When the authors of a every library wants update to 3 :-D.
>

> ... or give a hand to the projects you need, if you don't want to sit and
> wait.
>
> Stefan
>

> --

I think this is the key, really. I see a lot of people asking about when
libraries will get ported to python 3, and it seems to me like a lot of
people could just do a little reading on the tools provided for migrating,
pull the dev version of the library, and take a crack at it.

I'm sure the various library authors would be appreciative.

Of course, it's probably hard for a lot of people to find time to do so
(this does not exclude the library authors), and a good amount of the people
asking probably aren't quite to the point that they could just dive in to an
unfamiliar codebase.

I would say that porting libraries to 3 would probably be a decent way of
improving ones python chops though.