when can i expect libraries and third party tools to be updated for python 3 ?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Apr 20 10:40:43 EDT 2009

alessiogiovanni.baroni wrote:
> On 20 Apr, 15:47, Deep_Feelings wrote:
> > every one is telling "dont go with python 3 , 3rd party tools and
> > libraries have no compitability with python 3"
> >
> > so from previous experience : when can i expect libraries and third
> > party tools to be updated for python 3 ? (especially libraries )
>
> When the authors of a every library wants update to 3 :-D.

Yes, that is the correct answer. From what I read, I would say that in most
projects, work or at least discussion has started regarding Py3 compatibility,
but it's not always trivial to get there, so (wo)manpower will often be the
limiting factor.

This is specifically a problem in C extensions, where running the 2to3 tool is
not an option and adding a 'b' in selected places won't do the job.

Note, BTW, that you do not have to wait for *all* Python libraries to be ported.
Just check when the libraries you require or want to use get ported (or ask the
authors or the development communities), and try a switch when it looks like all
you need is there.

... or give a hand to the projects you need, if you don't want to sit and wait.

Stefan