can't install new modules after updating python

John jmg3000 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 10:14:12 EDT 2009

On Apr 18, 9:00 am, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> In article <f2a25d72-5e21-498a-95a4-59045f158... at r37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Generally speaking, you should never directly update the system Python;
> most Linux systems these days rely on Python for their operation.
> Instead, you install an additional copy of Python, and you cannot use
> your OS package management to install modules; just install the modules
> manually.

Agreed. I tend to keep my own Python installation in ~/opt, and then
use the usual `python setup.py install` to install modules. You just
need to make sure you have $HOME/opt/py/bin in your $PATH before the
system python (or else explicitly specify `~/opt/py/bin/python
setup.py install` when you install modules).

If your *system* Python needs modules, you install those with your OS
package management utility.