can't install new modules after updating python

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 18 09:00:59 EDT 2009

In article <f2a25d72-5e21-498a-95a4-59045f1583ab at r37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
lie  <liewailun at gmail.com> wrote:

>I've updated from python 2.5 to 2.6 on my Slackware 12.2, by compiling
>the 2.6 source. When I try to use slapt-get to install a new module
>for python, it installs in the old version, and I can't use it. How
>can I fix this? Should I go back to 2.5?

Generally speaking, you should never directly update the system Python;
most Linux systems these days rely on Python for their operation.
Instead, you install an additional copy of Python, and you cannot use
your OS package management to install modules; just install the modules
manually.

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair