[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.6.2

Russell Owen rowen at u.washington.edu
Fri Apr 17 12:23:46 EDT 2009

On Apr 16, 2009, at 11:17 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 16 Apr, 2009, at 20:58, Russell Owen wrote:
>
>> I installed the Mac binary on my Intel 10.5.6 system and it works,
>> except it still uses Apple's system Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 instead of my
>> ActiveState 8.4.19 (which is in /Library/Frameworks where one would
>> expect).
>
> That's very string. I had ActiveState 8.4 installed (whatever was
> current about a month ago).

I agree. (For what it's worth, you probably have Tcl/Tk 8.4.19 -- a
version I've found to be very robust. 8.4.19 was released awhile ago
and is probably the last version of 8.4 we will see, since all
development is happening on 8.5 now).

Could you try a simple experiment (assuming you still have ActiveState
Tcl/Tk installed): run python from the command line and enter these
commands:
import Tkinter
root = Tkinter.Tk()

Then go to the application that comes up and select About Tcl/Tk...
(in the Python menu) and see what version it reports. When I run with
the Mac binary of 2.6.2 it reports 8.4.7 (Apple's built-in python).
When I build python 2.6.2 from source it reports 8.4.19 (my
ActiveState Tclc/Tk).

>> Just out of curiosity: which 3rd party Tcl/Tk did you have
>> installed when you made the installer? Perhaps if it was 8.5 that
>> would explain it. If so I may try updating my Tcl/Tk -- I've been
>> wanting some of the bug fixes in 8.5 anyway.
>
> Tcl 8.5 won't happen in 2.6, and might not happen in 2.7 either.
> Tkinter needs to work with the system version of Tcl, which is some
> version of 8.4,  Tkinter will not work when the major release of Tcl
> is different than during the compile. That makes it rather hard to
> support both 8.4 and 8.5 in the same installer.

Perfect. I agree.

-- Russell