[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.6.2

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Apr 17 02:17:50 EDT 2009

On 16 Apr, 2009, at 20:58, Russell Owen wrote:

> I installed the Mac binary on my Intel 10.5.6 system and it works,
> except it still uses Apple's system Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 instead of my
> ActiveState 8.4.19 (which is in /Library/Frameworks where one would
> expect).

That's very string. I had ActiveState 8.4 installed (whatever was
current about a month ago).

> Just out of curiosity: which 3rd party Tcl/Tk did you have installed
> when you made the installer? Perhaps if it was 8.5 that would
> explain it. If so I may try updating my Tcl/Tk -- I've been wanting
> some of the bug fixes in 8.5 anyway.

Tcl 8.5 won't happen in 2.6, and might not happen in 2.7 either.
Tkinter needs to work with the system version of Tcl, which is some
version of 8.4,  Tkinter will not work when the major release of Tcl
is different than during the compile. That makes it rather hard to
support both 8.4 and 8.5 in the same installer.

Ronald