video capture in Python ?

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Mon Apr 13 08:42:38 EDT 2009

Hi Stef,

Stef Mientki wrote:
> videocapture
> webcamwatcher
> opencv
> libvidcap
> hdpvrassistent
>
> they didn't run at all or they crashed within 10 seconds :-(
> The most promissing looks videocapture, but that also crashes within 10
> seconds.
>> Video capture is not a trivial task.
> to be more exactly, I think you mean  "it's not a trival task in Python"
>
> I just created a Delphi project to select a video device, show the cam
> image on the screen and store the movie in a file:
> - less than 10 lines of code,
> - less than 10 minutes of work
> and the program looks rock stable !
>
> So for this project I'll probably go back to Delphi ;-)

Or C. OpenCV has nice examples.

For Video Capture, the external library needs to do most of the work
obviously, since this is the corner case for a scripting language.
(Even Delphi can be suboptimal depending on what you want to do
once you captured a frame)

I can say opencv worked great for me both on linux and windows
and didn't crash. Maybe you have just an unlucky combination
of drivers.

Regards
Tino