video capture in Python ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 06:19:26 EDT 2009

Tim Roberts wrote:
> Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> has anyone got video capturing (from a webcam)  successful  running
>> in a wxPython application under winXP ?
>>
>> I got some links, but it seems quit complicated to get everything
>> installed,
>> and all the packages you need don't describe which versions of the other
>> parts you need,
>> so a lot trial and error I expect.
>>

> What packages have you tried?

videocapture
webcamwatcher
opencv
libvidcap
hdpvrassistent

they didn't run at all or they crashed within 10 seconds :-(
The most promissing looks videocapture, but that also crashes within 10
seconds.
> Video capture is not a trivial task.
to be more exactly, I think you mean  "it's not a trival task in Python"

I just created a Delphi project to select a video device, show the cam
image on the screen and store the movie in a file:
- less than 10 lines of code,
- less than 10 minutes of work
and the program looks rock stable !

So for this project I'll probably go back to Delphi ;-)

thanks,
Stef Mientki