Spring-like IoC in python?

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Sun Apr 5 08:45:44 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Giovanni Giorgi <jj at objectsroot.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I have just read the Thread "Thoughts on language-level
> configuration support?" started by jfager.
> I have worked in the past days with Java Spring.
> I found very valuable the ideas behind Inversion of Control (IoC).
> I think it should be a very nice feature to get into python too.
> In detail, I think the most important concept is the ability to auto-wire
> dependencies declared in the configuration file.
> It is the "added value" of such idea in my own opinion.
> Spring is heavily based on type declaration (in form of concrete class of
> interfaces) so this approach is not the preferred path in a dynamically
> language like Python.
> Do someone have tried or seen something like IoC container based on Python?

There are several projects implementing IoC in Python. The three I am
most familiar with are snake-guice[0], pinsor[1] and SpringPython[2].
I think they are all worth investigating.

I started snake-guice as a clone of the google-guice project (a Java
IoC framework.) I liked several things that I just didn't see anywhere
else:
 1. Language based configuration because XML sucks
 2. In code hints about what will be injected
 3. Not a container - the injector injects and gets out of the way

The documentation is a little lacking, but that will be changing in
the next few days. Examples of using snake-guice with CherryPy, Django
and TurboGears are just a few days off as well. The API tests[3] show
simple clear examples.

The project is going to be used on several very large websites. So you
can expect it to be maintained for quite a while.

I would encourage you to look at each project and leave feedback where
you can. It can only help each project.

0. http://code.google.com/p/snake-guice/
1. http://code.google.com/p/pinsor/
2. http://springpython.webfactional.com/