Would you support adding UNC support to os.path on Windows?

Larry Hastings larry at facebook.com
Tue Apr 21 21:17:35 EDT 2009

I've written a patch for Python 3.1 that changes os.path so it handles
UNC paths on Windows.  You can read about it at the Python bug tracker:

    http://bugs.python.org/issue5799

I'd like to gauge community interest in the patch.  After all, it's has
been declined before; I submitted a similar patch for 1.5.2 way back in
1999.  (You can read the details of that on the tracker page too.)

So: would you like to see this patch committed?  Your votes, ladies and
gentlemen, if you please.

For what it's worth, Mark Hammond supports this patch.  (But then, iirc
he supported it 1999 too.)

/larry/