Need help with setup.py and data files

Matthew Wilson matt at tplus1.com
Tue Apr 21 21:17:13 EDT 2009

I'm working on a package that includes some files that are meant to be
copied and edited by people using the package.

My project is named "pitz" and it is a bugtracker.  Instead of using a
config file to set the options for a project, I want to use python
files.

When somebody installs pitz, I want to save some .py files somewhere so
that when they run my pitz-setup script, I can go find those .py files
and copy them into their working directory.

I have two questions:

1. Do I need to write my setup.py file to specify that the .py files in
   particular directory need to be treated like data, not code?  For
   example, I don't want the installer to hide those files inside an
   egg.

2. How can I find those .py files later and copy them?