matplotlib in interactive mode locks when run from subprocess

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:53:17 EDT 2008

To who cares, I found out what my problem was.

Testing interactivity with Tk in a normal Python console gave proper
results, just like IPython. Also running "python -i" gives the
interactive behaviour I wanted. But running "python -i" from a subprocess
did not. I was startled, because it worked out of the box with Python!

I read somewhere that Tkinter does not need a mainloop, which should be
true in order to have the interactive behaviour in python without a second
thread. Well, tk does indeed not need a mainloop, but you DO need to
create a tk app and call update() on it from time to time. (Which makes
sense now that I know it :) )

After examing code from IPython, I saw that it runs code to start a Tk app,
and performs tk.update().

So I guess this means that the standard python shell creates such a
"hidden tk app", but NOT when run from a subprocess.

I have now solved my problem, and interactivity works!

Almar