matplotlib in interactive mode locks when run from subprocess

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 16:12:44 EDT 2008

I think my question was not very clear. I narrowed the problem down to
a reconstructable small example, consisting of a python script (a very
simple interpreter) and three lines to execute in it:

========== start simple interpreter file ======
import os
import sys
import time

def run():
    while True:

        # read a line of text, the thread is stuck here untill a \n is
        # fed to the stream.
        time.sleep(0.1)
        line = ""
        try:
            line = sys.stdin.readline()
        except Exception, why:
            sys.stdout.wite(why.message+"\n")

        if line:
            try:
                code = compile(line,"<none>","exec")
                exec(code)
            except Exception, why:
                sys.stderr.write(why.message)
            sys.stderr.write(">>> ")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    run()

========== end of file ==============

Now I run this file (by double clicking it) and I get a prompt. The three
lines I type in are:
import matplotlib.pylab as pl
pl.ion() #interactive mode on
pl.plot([1,2,3],[4,6,5])

This produces a tk window, but it's unresponsive. The process does have 5
threads, so
matplotlib managed to create the threads, but it seems as if they're
blocked.

When I run the three lines of code in a normal python shell, I get the
proper results:
a responsive figure (I can zoom and pan) and my shell is still responsive
too.

I am in the dark why this does not work. Any thoughts anyone? I've been busy
all day
trying to get this right, with hardly any progress... :(

Almar

PS: I run windows xp, my matplotlibrc file has the backend: TkAgg,
interactive: True