How to get the filename in the right case ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:43:53 EDT 2008

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
>> Yes I'm pretty sure, two reasons:
>> 1. when I perform a step_into, jumping into a file that doesn't have
>> breakpoints itself (meaning my program doesn't even know of this file),
>> pdb returns a lowercase filename
>>

> What has that to do with potential output postprocessing?
>

>> 2. rpdb2 (probably based or even inherited from pdb) has the same
>> behavior. Asking the writer of rpdb2, I got some excuse (which I didn't
>> understand) why he had done it that way.
>>

> rpdb2 is not pdb.
>
> Below is the output of a Pdb-session I just had:
>

> (eggbasket)dir at client8049:~/software/vc/EggBasket$ nosetests -s
> eggbasket.tests.test_model
> 2008-09-25 14:13:10,374 turbogears.identity.saprovider INFO Loading:
> eggbasket.model.VisitIdentity
> .> /home/dir/software/vc/EggBasket/eggbasket/tests/test_model.py(59)test_versionsets()
> -> vi1 = vset.add_pkg_info(p1)
> (Pdb) n
>
>> /home/dir/software/vc/EggBasket/eggbasket/tests/test_model.py(60)test_versionsets()
>>
> -> session.flush()
> (Pdb) n
>

> As you can see - mixed-case filenames. Linux though.
>
> There is a *very* simple way for you to check: just create a file called
>
> FooBar.py
>
> and inside that, put
>
> import pdb; pdb.set_trace()
> print "hello"
>

> Run that on the windows shell. See if that puts out all lowercase or not. I
> can't do that right now as my VBox Windows won't start.
>
 >>> import Module1
 > d:\data_python_25\pylab_works\module1.py(3)<module>()
-> print "hello"
(Pdb)

> Then we know if PDB is really the culprit.

So pdb is the problem.
> Apart from that, is that really a problem that the filenames are all lower
> case? AFAIK Windows is case-insensitive regarding filenames anyway. So
> opening the file by just passing the filename should work seamless.

Yes windows is,
but Python is not.
My program should run on Windows and Linux (and maybe a few others).
By converting everything to lowercase, on Linux I can't distinguishes
between 2 files with the same name but a different case
(btw, giving 2 files the same name, only differing in case, looks like a
bad idea to me).

And yes I could switch to lowercase in case I'm on a windows machine,
but my program is too beautiful to pollute the code with these kind of
unnecessary statements ;-)

cheers,
Stef