How to get the filename in the right case ?

OKB (not okblacke) brenNOSPAMbarn at NObrenSPAMbarn.net
Thu Sep 25 11:42:45 EDT 2008

Stef Mientki wrote:
> > d:\data_python_25\pylab_works\module1.py(3)<module>()
> -> print "hello"
> (Pdb)
>
>> Then we know if PDB is really the culprit.
>>

> So pdb is the problem.

    	Yep, it does the same thing for me.

>> Apart from that, is that really a problem that the filenames are
>> all lower case? AFAIK Windows is case-insensitive regarding
>> filenames anyway. So opening the file by just passing the filename
>> should work seamless.
>>
> Yes windows is,
> but Python is not.
> My program should run on Windows and Linux (and maybe a few
> others). By converting everything to lowercase, on Linux I can't
> distinguishes between 2 files with the same name but a different
> case (btw, giving 2 files the same name, only differing in case,
> looks like a bad idea to me).

    	Hmmm, but I don't understand what you're doing here.  Are you
somehow storing the filename that pdb outputs and you need to use it
later on a potentially different OS?  If the case is preserved in pdb on
linux, then presumably running it on linux will be fine, right?  It's
only a problem if you somehow try to use a filename created by windows-
pdb to open a file (the same file, somehow) on linux.

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell