Are spams on comp.lang.python a major nuisance?

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Fri Sep 26 09:42:13 EDT 2008

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> I took over spam filter management for the python.org mailing lists a couple
> months ago and made a few changes to the way the spam filter is trained.
> Things seem to be at a reasonable level as far as I can tell (I see a few
> spams leak through each day), though I wasn't actively reading
> comp.lang.python/python-list at python.org before I took over the task, so I
> have nothing to compare with.  Does the level of spam leaking through the
> filter now seem excessive?  Is it more or less than in June and July?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Skip Montanaro

Over the last 24 hours, I think I count 10 spams, but that's probably
higher than usual.

I don't know if it's "excessive". It certainly isn't ideal, but it only
takes 30 seconds to get rid of them, and we need to give my spam filter
something to do, right? :-)

I haven't been reading the list for very long, so I don't know how it
compares to June or July. It feels like it's been increasing over time,
but I don't have any numbers to back that up.