Python for the iPhone?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 06:34:12 EDT 2008

On 17 Sep, 11:54, s... at pobox.com wrote:
> Anybody tried this port of Python to the iPhone?
>
>    http://www.modmyi.com/nativeapps/python-v251/
>    http://iphone.natetrue.com/
>
> Hasn't been updated since July 2007.  Maybe just a proof-of-concept?  I'm
> guessing it involves jailbreaking the phone.

There's a very brief summary of iPhone drawbacks with respect to
openness in this very interesting presentation from PyCon UK:

http://freshfoo.com/presentations/PyCon_UK-2008/slides/

Although it probably doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know
about Apple's disdain for people running "unauthorised" software on
the iPhone, I think the Python involvement in Openmoko is very
interesting and deserving of wider attention, especially amongst those
considering getting a mobile device for its Python capabilities.

Paul