how to make smtplib.SMTP('localhost') work on window xp

zxo102 zxo102 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 09:41:17 EDT 2008

On 9月29日, 下午7时29分, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> zxo102 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I am trying to use python module smtplib to send my email out on
> > window xp (localhost).
>
> > import smtplib
> > server = smtplib.SMTP('localhost')
>
> > but I got the error information as follows:
>
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> >   File "c:\python24\lib\smtplib.py", line 244, in __init__
> >     (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
> >   File "c:\python24\lib\smtplib.py", line 311, in connect
> >     (code, msg) = self.getreply()
> >   File "c:\python24\lib\smtplib.py", line 355, in getreply
> >     raise SMTPServerDisconnected("Connection unexpectedly closed")
> > SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed
>
> > I am not sure what is wrong with it. Should I configure my window xp
> > somewhere to run smtplib.SMTP('localhost')?
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Well your code certainly expects *something* to be listening on port 25
> on localhost. It's fairly unusual to run an SMTP server on Windows XP,
> though not impossible.
>
> usually your email system is set up to use some external host as uts
> SMPT server: if you look in your mail client's configuration you will
> probably find out whihc host you should be using.
>
> regards
>  Steve
>
> --
> Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC              http://www.holdenweb.com/

In my case, I implement an application with python to accomplish
collecting real time data from a serial port: com1 which is connected
to some xbee hardwares.
The python logging module is used to save the information generated at
runtime into a log file. Since the site is far away from my office, I
try to
use a smtp server with the python smtplib module to send the log file
into my email account regularly so that I can check it from anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Ouyang