Wx Python - Code Structure & Event Handling

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 17:20:03 EDT 2008

On Sep 9, 3:05 pm, lee.walc... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just started writing a GUI using wxpython after finding a
> limitation using Tkinter. I have read most tutorials on wxpython and
> slowly becoming accustomed considering I started with the latter GUI
> tool first!
> I must quote first that I am a novice user of python so the issue(s) I
> have may seem very obvious but please be patient with me!
>
> I have noticed that all the wxpython references I used for creating my
> application(s)  "cram" all the code in the frame subclass. This is
> fine when you consider small applications but what about when they
> grow into very complex applications? This creates my first question :
> Where is it possible to find information on wxpython code practise/
> structure when considering complex larger Gui's?
>
> Without any reference I decided to attempt my owm method by breaking
> up the top level panels in my frame as individiual class objects. and
> then construct the widgets for the panels within the respective
> classes. This led to my second problem, how do I use and event in one
> Panel to cause an effect in the other Panel ? For example, if I have
> button in one Panel and wish to change the text of a label in the
> other Panel, what is the best way to do this? Should I break the code
> into modules instead?
>
> Of course, you may explain that the way I have approached this is
> completely wrong, if so please tell me, I really want to get the basic
> structure right before I start making the code more complex.
>
> I look forward to your help

> I have listed some code below to help explain what concept I wish to
> achieve,
>
> import wx
>
> class Frame(wx.Frame):
>     def __init__(self):
>         wx.Frame.__init__(self, None,
> title="Application",size=(400,400))
>         Panel1 = wx.Panel(self, -1,size=(200,200))
>         Panel2 = wx.Panel(self, -1,size=(200,200))
>         Sizer = wx.FlexGridSizer(2,2,5,5)
>         Sizer.Add(Panel1)
>         Sizer.Add(Panel2)
>         self.SetSizerAndFit(Sizer)
>         Util1 = Utils1(Panel1)
>         Util2 = Utils2(Panel2)
>
> class Utils1():
>     def __init__(self, Panel):
>         button = wx.Button(Panel,-1, "Button 1")
>         Panel.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnClick, button)
>         self.Label = wx.StaticText(Panel,-1, "Handler to me",
> name="Lab1")
>         Sizer = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
>         Sizer.Add(button)
>         Sizer.Add(self.Label)
>         Panel.SetSizerAndFit(Sizer)
>
>     def OnClick(self, Evt):
>         self.Label.SetLabel("you changed me")
>
> class Utils2():
>     def __init__(self, Panel):
>         self.button = wx.Button(Panel,-1, "Button 2")
>         Panel.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnClick, self.button)
>
>     def OnClick(self, Evt):
>         """ what is the easiest & accepted Method of changing the text
> in
> [...]

These are good questions for the wxPython list. You'll learn a lot
there: http://wxpython.org/maillist.php

You'll also find the Style Guide helpful: http://wiki.wxpython.org/wxPython%20Style%20Guide

In my more complex applications, I'll do the widgets in their own
function, or for a wx.Notebook, I'll do each "book" in their own
module by subclassing a wx.Panel object or some such. If you do that
sort of thing in their own module subclasses, then the event handlers
can go there too.

Mike