Python and Open Office

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Sep 16 15:17:56 EDT 2008

Hartmut Goebel wrote:

> As I thought everybody already knows, ODF is simply a Zip-File
> containing some XML files.

I thought it just *was* xml.  But examination with notepad showed
otherwise.

 > So there is no need to use OOo for handling
> the files.
>
> So odfpy seams to be the best way to to this.

Since odfpy automatically handles combining the at-least-4 xml files
into one coherent class on loading, and putting the various properties
into the proper xml files on saving, this looks pretty straightforward.
  Thanks for the reference.

One way to learn the meaning of some of the numerous attributes and
values is to create a file with the wanted features with OOo, save,
unzip, and examine the xml to see which tags are used for which features.

  You may also want to check
> OOopy <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/OOoPy/>.

I will glance at that too.