Are spams on comp.lang.python a major nuisance?

Aaron "Castironpi" Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 19:05:07 EDT 2008

On Sep 26, 6:31 am, s... at pobox.com wrote:
> I took over spam filter management for the python.org mailing lists a couple
> months ago and made a few changes to the way the spam filter is trained.
> Things seem to be at a reasonable level as far as I can tell (I see a few
> spams leak through each day), though I wasn't actively reading
> comp.lang.python/python-l... at python.org before I took over the task, so I
> have nothing to compare with.  Does the level of spam leaking through the
> filter now seem excessive?  Is it more or less than in June and July?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Skip Montanaro

Is there such a thing as an open-source spam filter?  That way any
time anyone had spare time and got annoyed, they could dump a short
snippet of code into the grinder.

Check-in would be tricky.  It would need lots of votes, and voters
would see a list of retroactive consequences of the change.  (Marks
these five things as spam.)  I'm not sure that the rule-making is any
better in the hands of many than it is of one (in general, to the OP),
considering the power of stupid in large numbers, and the ease of
submitting a filter for 'if name== "D'Aprano"'.  That is, surely Skip
wouldn't do that, but a group might.

I've never gone spamming, so I don't know: Is it really easy (and
necessarily profitable) to see, "if 'python' not in contents" and add
the word to the mail?  Or is it not worth the time it takes to catch
that list?  They're greedy, not bored.