Late initialization using __getattribute__

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Sep 4 13:57:01 EDT 2008

bukzor a écrit :
>>> I like the idea of mix-ins, but can't figure out how to make a proxy
>>> work that way.
>> You mean, "how to use a proxy for lazy initialization" ? Heck, that's
>> the exact use case in the GoF.
>
> I mean, "how to make a MixIn class that uses the proxy pattern".

That's not how proxies work. They use composition/delegation, not MI.

>I'd
> like to be able to do something like this:
>
> class SuperCursor(FeatureOneMixIn, FeatureTwoMixin, ...,
> VanillaCursor): pass

Yuck.

Sorry, but it reminds me of the worst MI abuses in Zope2.

(snip)

> My toy example turned out to be not the best representation of the
> problem.

This is often the case with toy examples.

> The base class has attributes that "exist" but either throw errors or
> segfault
> if used before reconnect() is called.

Then these attributes should probably call reconnect() by themselves.
Decorators and/or computed attributes may help here.