Late initialization using __getattribute__

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:19:28 EDT 2008

On Sep 4, 12:36 pm, bukzor <workithar... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I like the idea of mix-ins, but can't figure out how to make a proxy
> > > work that way.
>
> > You mean, "how to use a proxy for lazy initialization" ? Heck, that's
> > the exact use case in the GoF.
>
> I mean, "how to make a MixIn class that uses the proxy pattern".

You don't.  That's not how proxies work.

> I'd like to be able to do something like this:
>
> class SuperCursor(FeatureOneMixIn, FeatureTwoMixin, ...,
> VanillaCursor): pass

Why does it have to look like that?  A good programmer lets the code
look however it has to look to most effectively do it's job.

With a proxy, the "base class" isn't a base class but a member.  Here
is a very simple example:

class SuperCursor(object):
    def __init__(self):
        self._cursor = VanillaCursor()
        self._connected = False
    def __getattr__(self,attr):
        if not self._connected:
            self._cursor.connect()
            self._connected = True
        return getattr(self._cursor,attr)

cursor = SuperCursor()

That doens't use a mixin, but why should it?

Carl Banks