Are spams on comp.lang.python a major nuisance?

Aaron "Castironpi" Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 23:21:32 EDT 2008

On Sep 26, 9:33 pm, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au>
wrote:
> George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Sep 26, 9:30 pm, Grant Edwards <gra... at visi.com> wrote:
> > > I read the group via NNTP, and I find that blocking all articles
> > > posted from google.groups gets rid of all of the spam.
>
> > ... along with a far from trivial (I guess) percentage of non-spam,
> > such as this post.
>
> As a Google user, you have (presumably) more clout with them than
> those of us who are not. Please pressure your provider to reduce the
> spam they output so the above drastic measure is not so attractive.
>
> Such pressure may be more effective if you *also* use an alternate
> NNTP provider that isn't such a spam-haven.
>
> --
>  \             “I put contact lenses in my dog's eyes. They had little |
>   `\   pictures of cats on them. Then I took one out and he ran around |
> _o__)                                      in circles.” —Steven Wright |
> Ben Finney

I composed a thread to the end of voicing that sentiment.

http://groups.google.com/group/Groups-Suggestions/browse_thread/thread/142ce723675bcad3#

Feel free to follow this.

For the record, I do find the fervor with which some netizens are
denouncing Google somewhat provocative.  I find them biased, more
ardent than a classification heuristic with the same number of false
negatives and false positives.  That is, not purely objective in their
advocacy.