dynamic allocation file buffer

Aaron "Castironpi" Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 13:31:09 EDT 2008

On Sep 11, 5:35 am, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On 11 Sep, 10:34, Fredrik Lundh <fred... at pythonware.com> wrote:
>

> > And as I said before, the only use case for *huge* XML files I've ever
> > seen used in practice is to store large streams of record-style data;
>
> I can imagine that the manipulation of the persistent form of large
> graph structures might be another use case, although for efficient
> navigation of such a structure, which is what you'd need to start
> applying various graph algorithms, one would need some kind of index.
> Certainly, we're straying into database territory.
>
> Paul

An acquaintance suggests that defragmentation would be a useful
service to provide along with memory management too, which also
requires an index.

I encourage overlap between a bare-bones alloc/free module and
established database territory and I'm very aware of it.

Databases already support both concurrency and persistence, but don't
tell me you'd use a database for IPC.  And don't tell me you've never
wished you had a reference to a record in a table so that you could
make an update just by changing one word of memory at the right
place.  Sometimes databases are overkill where all you want is dynamic
allocation.