dynamic allocation file buffer

Aaron "Castironpi" Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:13:34 EDT 2008

On Sep 9, 10:03 pm, George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 5:59 pm, castironpi <castiro... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I will try my idea again.  I want to talk to people about a
> > module I want to write and I will take the time to explain it.
> > I think it's a "cool idea" that a lot of people, forgiving the
> > slang, could benefit from.
>
> > (snipped)
>
> > A pure Python alloc-free implementation based on the GNU PAVL
> > tree library is on Google Code.  It is only in proof-of-concept
> > form and not commented, but does contain a first-pass test
> > suite.  See:
> >    http://code.google.com/p/pymmapstruct/source/browse/#svn/trunk
>
> So at best (i.e. if it actually makes any sense; I didn't read it),
> this is an ANNouncement of a pre-alpha piece of code. ANN posts rarely
> attract replies, even when they are about production/stable software.
> Thankfully, most people don't expect (let alone "require") readers to
> share their interest or enthusiasm by replying to the ANN. Given your
> past semi-coherent and incoherent posts, expecting people to jump on
> such a thread is a rather tall order.
>
> George

No, I'm just excited about it and want to share.  I definitely think
that discouragement of new ideas, successes, and personal expressions
is a weakness that society has, and something that c-l-py is missing
as well.  I want to encourage them in other people so I will do it
myself.

As for the practicality of this module, I am definitely receiving
skepticism from the group.  Further, its feasibility is in question.

For instance, no one has pointed out, and I only came across last
night, that IPC synchronization is non-trivial and possibly platform-
dependent.  Of course it's a prerequisite for the advance of any IPC
mod, so I'm glad I did not release an ANN.