Linq to Python

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 15:26:31 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 2:11 PM,  <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
> sturlamolden:
>>No, because Python already has list comprehensions and we don't need the XML buzzword.<
>
> LINQ is more than buzzwords. Python misses several of those features.
> So maybe for once the Python crowd may recognize such C# feature as
> much better than things present in Python.
> Said that, I presume Python will go on as usual, and LINQ-like
> capabilities will not be integrated in Python. In the meantime where I
> live lot of people will keep using C# instead of Python and CLisp,
> natural selection at work indeed.

Why do you swing so widely between being an interesting poster with
interesting, useful things to say and mindless trolling? There's a lot
of reasons to use C# instead of Python or Lisp (or any other language
for that matter), but I can't imagine that someone would make that
decision based solely on LINQ. I'd go so far as to say that if they
do, I question their professional competence.

LINQ is an interesting implementation of an old idea. The place where
it differs from list comps is that it has appropriate hooks for the
specific linq implementation to override the way results are gathered,
and such hooks in Python would be an interesting idea. I've taken a
shot and figuring out where and how they should be implemented, but I
haven't come up with anything I like. Maybe you should try it?

LINQs "native" object API (not the syntax sugar available in C#) is
not very different from Python ORMs.