Making small executive file for distribution

mdsherry at gmail.com mdsherry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 10:32:56 EDT 2008

On Sep 24, 9:17 am, Marin Brkic <mbrkic at invalid_mail.adress> wrote:
> Not commercial distribution, but an academic kind of sorts - giving
> the exe file to coleagues, so they can use it in their work. Giving
> .py file is not an option, since due to centralized computer
> maintenance, they don't (and cannot) have installed python (except the
> ones that bring their own computer at work, but those are an
> exception).
>
> As far as I know py2exe is the only option which can do such a thing
> (make exe files from scripts). Is there a way to make those exe files
> a little smaller (for a small script they easily go up to 5-10 mb).
>
> Has anyone had a situation like this ? All your inputs and suggestions
> are more then welcomed.
>
> --
> Marin

If you don't create a monolithic EXE, then most of the extra files
(that make up the bulk of the size) can be shared between other
converted scripts. That is, if you convert foo.py, and send the bundle
to your colleague, then convert bar.py, you only need to send bar.exe,
and it will run fine if they execute it in the same directory that has
all the DLLs you sent with foo.exe.

Another option might be to encourage them to download Portable Python,
which doesn't need to be installed.

Mark Sherry